Saturday, December 5, 2009

Down South...Day Five...Austin...Friday, December 4, 2009





OK...there's no getting around it...it's cold here...really cold. Driving down from Memphis, I went through a rainy low-pressure area moving northwest out of Texas. The good news is that the rain is gone. The bad news is that the departing low-pressure area left a vacuum that has allowed the "jet stream" to drop south bringing an extended blast of frigid air. Temps have been in the 20's here at night, and today there was a light dusting of snow!
All of this has forced a change in travel plans. I originally planned to head down to Big Bend National Park tomorrow for five days of camping before heading to San Antonio for a few days. Now, instead, I'll be heading to San Antonio first for a few days. Temps are expected to star heading up next week, so I'll be postponing my camping until Monday or Tuesday.
Today, I headed down to the town of Lockhart for barbecue at a place called Smitty's. Back in the 80's, I had my first taste of "real" Texas barbecue in Lockhart at a place called Kreuz (pronounced "krites") Market. When the owner of Kreuz passed away several years ago, there was a "dispute" within the family...this was settled by allowing one faction to retain the Kreuz location (now called Smitty's) and one faction to use the name Kreuz in a new location. I opted for Smitty's, and I was not disappointed...the "usual" order of brisket, sausage and potato salad. While the potato salad was not much (who cares?), the meat was excellent. I have to rate Louie Mueller slightly better, but Smitty's is awfully close.
After lunch. paid another visit to Amy's Ice Cream (excellent!) for a scoop of pumpkin and a scoop of butter pecan ice cream...both were top-notch. Then back to my hotel for a nap before heading out to Pappasito's for Tex-Mex. I had an order of guacamole and two very good beef tacos washed down with a few Margaritas and sevral glasses of Dos Equis draft...good food and a fun atmosphere.
Then...back to the hotel for a little TV followed by a good night's sleep. Tomorrow, I'll be heading down to San Antonio (via the Luling City Market for...more barbecue!).

Smart move...before I left Michigan, I bought some flannel-lined jeans from Cabela's and Eddie Bauer...they are REALLY coming in handy down here!
More news later.

No comments: