Saturday, December 12, 2009

Down South...Day Nine...Tuesday, Decmber 8, 2009...Big Bend National Park






I'm up early this morning for the 240-mile drive from Del Rio to Big Bend National Park. I stop at a WalMart to fill up the tank, and I'm off.
Many millions of years ago, this part of Texas was formed by intense volcanic activity, but the terrain is much different than, say, the area around Yellowstone or Glacier Parks. This is because the arid conditions mean less rainfall and, as a result, less erosion (other than wind). Also, no glaciers went through this part of the country.
This is a great drive with lots of impressive scenery. The road is good...straight and 75 MPH...so I make pretty good time. I get to the turnoff from Route 90 to the Park around 1:00PM, then seventy miles or so south to the Ranger Station/Campgrounds/etc. One of the Rangers goes over a map with me and suggests camping at Chisos Basin (my first choice). Although the Basin is at 5000 or so feet, there is a temperature "inversion" that keeps it warmer at night.
By 2:30PM, I've picked out a campsite and start setting up camp. There are strong winds today, and setting up my tent is a challenge...plus, everything has to be "staked down" tight. Around 3:30PM or so, everything is set up, and I'm pouring my first cocktail. The Camp "Host", Bob, stops by to chat...he's got a big black mutt (Jay) who's very friendly.
Darkness will come early tonight (one of the disadvantages of winter camping), so I start cooking dinner early. I'm grilling one of those big rib eyes that bought in San Antonio...also frying up some potatoes with a little onion. The rib eye is profoundly good...every bit as good as I expected...and all the more so with a bottle of spicy Portuguese red wine.
By 7:00PM the sun is down and it's completely dark. Not much to do but sit at my picnic table, finish off the wine and look at the stars.
Far from civilization...at night, the stars are big and bright, here...deep...in the heart of Texas.

No comments: