Thursday, December 24, 2009

Down South...Day Twenty-One...Sunday, December 20, 2009...Fairhope, Alabama






I get to sleep in this morning until 8:30AM or so. At 10:30, Ron comes to pick me up at the hotel. He has asked me to attend services with him at his local Church, Grace Fellowship. It's a small congregation of very friendly people...they're all interested in meeting me and hearing about my travels. The service itself is very pleasant...a mix of modern and traditional hymns and music. Even the sermon has some topical interest and a few very perceptive insights.
After Church, Ron and I drive over to the town of Spanish Fort for lunch. We're heading for a place, Felix's Fish Camp, that's supposed to be the best around. Soon, we're settled in...enjoying a few cold ones and looking over the menu. Ron goes for the seafood mixed grill, and I opt for the 50-50 fried shrimp/oyster platter. The food is pretty good...our bartender is cute, but friendly in a little "forced" way.
After lunch, Ron drives me down to look at the towns of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach...both very nice...right on the water. All along the way, Ron and I are regaling each other with old stories from our Notre Dame days...great fun.
Around 6:00PM or so, we head back to the town of Fairhope to enjoy cocktails and music at McSherry's Irish Pub.
I can't say enough good things about the town of Fairhope...everybody here is so friendly...the hotel staff, people on the street...everybody says hello...it's nice here.
And at McSherry's...well...it's an Irish Pub, so everybody is extra friendly. It's "open music" night, and there's a small group of musicians sitting around a table playing whatever they feel like. It's not loud...a flute or two, a banjo, a few guitars and violins...very nice.
By 9:00PM, Ron and I are both pretty tired...so Ron heads home, and I head back to the hotel for a good night's rest. I've got a long drive tomorrow from here to Tampa.

No comments: