Monday, December 7, 2009

Down South...Days 6-7...Saturday/Sunday, December 5-6, 2006...Austin/San Antonio




I had a nice leisurely drive down Texas 183 from Austin to San Antonio. I stopped in the town of Luling for lunch at City Market (another "icon" on the Texas BBQ Trail). After all the great barbecue that I've had, I have to say that City Market was mildly disappointing...sausage was good, but the brisket was dry and tough.
So...the final barbecue rankings are...
1. Louie Mueller
2. Smitty's Market
3. Luling City Market
4. Big Daddy's
I am now officially "barbecued out"...time for something different.
I checked in at the Travelodge in downtown San Antonio and immediately headed down to the Riverwalk...crowded on Saturday and packed with Texas fans watching the Big 12 Championship game. My good friend, Ed, who is a big Nebraska fan, must be livid as Texas gets an extra second on the clock to kick the winning field goal.
I've had my fill of barbecue, so I stop at a place called Landry's Seafood for dinner...a few Margaritas, a dozen grilled oysters with a few glasses of Sauvignon Blanc...and I'm a happy guy. After some more bar-hopping, it's time for bed.
On Sunday, I headed over to Rosario's for lunch...a few more Margaritas, a huge Chile Relleno and a side order of Cheese Enchiladas with Red Chile Sauce...another great meal. That called for a nap, so I headed back to the hotel for a few hours before heading back to the Riverwalk. I was so full from lunch, I couldn't even think about dinner...so...a few Margaritas and a couple of beers before heading off to bed.
This morning (Monday), I'm up early to pack and load up. I'm going to Mi Tierra (one of my favorite restaurants) for eggs scrambled with tortilla strips and chorizo and covered in Ranchero Sauce and cheese...YUM! Then it's off to Bolner's Meats to pick up a couple of prime, dry-aged rib eyes to grill while camping at Big Bend. Tonight, I'll be staying in Del Rio, Texas before driving down to Big Bend tomorrow.
More news later...

1 comment:

Renee said...

Wish they could do a BBQ here like they do in Texas. Your making my mouth water as I read about your travels. Have a great trip.

Renee