Monday, December 14, 2009

Down South...Day Fourteen...Sunday, December 13, 2009...When Shrimp Go Bad




It was a real luxury to spend yet another night in a "real bed" after my camping adventure in Big Bend. I slept in late this morning, and awoke hungry. Having been disappointed at the "best" place in Galveston last night, I'm not particularly eager to do any more restaurant "exploring" here.So...I decide to head back up to San Leon for the fried shrimp at Gilhooley's.
Doug is back, and he introduces me to a few more "locals". Pretty soon, I'm feeling comfortable and very much at home...but, then again...that's Texas.
A beer, six more of those great grilled oysters and...then...six fried oysters and six fried shrimp...outstanding! Oh, and I can't forget the slaw...hand-cut, creamy...and...strewn with chopped shrimp...wow! I give this place my top rating. After lunch, I hang around for a few more beers and some friendly conversation before heading back down to Galveston.
It's another foggy, rainy and damp day here...so...pretty soon, I'm at my customary set at the bar for a few beers and some football. Ah, I see that the Lions have taken one of their customary "swan dives"...great. Patriots and Tom Brady looking good...Brett Favre does it again.
Seafood is very big here in Galveston...particularly shrimp. At one point in the afternoon, I stepped out for a smoke and saw a huge shrimp flip out of the ocean and bounce off the roof of the bar before damaging several cars. It took ten of us to drag it back into the bay!
Time flies...and soon it's dinnertime. I head back to the room to shower and dress for dinner...back to Gaido's...not great, but it IS close. Soon, I'm settled in with a Stoli Martini. I'm not ordering anything fried this night, so I opt for Gumbo (good), boiled shrimp (also good) and a big crab meat cocktail (very good). A big piece of pecan pie with a scoop of Texas' own Blue Bell vanilla ice cream caps off a pretty decent meal. Back to the bar for a nightcap before heading to bed.
I've made another "strategic decision"...I had planned to spend four or five days camping here in Galveston, but two days is plenty...time to move on. So...tomorrow, I'll be leaving for the Lafayette/Baton Rouge area in Louisiana. There's a restaurant in Henderson, Robin's (pronounced "ro-bans")...I've eaten there before...and it's really really good.

No comments: