Friday, December 4, 2009

Down South...Day Four...Austin...Thursday, December 3, 2009





Last night, I went to Threadgill's...a local "legend" for "home cooking" in Austin. It was a fun place with great (live) music and very good food. I had chicken-fried steak with sides of spinach casserole and San Antonio squash...all excellent with a few glasses of Live Oak Pils...a very "hoppy" pilsener beer (then there were the wo shots of Cazadores Tequila).
I met two gals at the bar Stella and Michele who moved here from Brighton. We were laughing about the snow back home until someone mentioned that snow is expected in Austin tomorrow...Yuck!
Today, I drove up to the town of Taylor for lunch at Louie Mueller's Barbecue. Everybody here in Texas has their favorite place for barbecue, but Louie Mueller is always mentioned with the best. And for good reason...I waited about twenty minutes in line in a narrow dingy room thick with the smell of smoke...I ordered brisket, a jalapeno sausage, potato salad and a draft beer. One bite of the brisket confirmed that this place was really, really good. The brisket was melt-in-your-mouth tender with a pleasant smokey flavor that did not overpower the taste of the meat. The sausage was spicy, greasy...and great. All in all, a very satisfying lunch. Having had quite a bit of barbecue over the years, I have to say that Louie Mueller has set a new standard...the best so far.
All that food made me a little sleepy, so I decided to head back to my room at the Days Inn for a little nap. But not before a quick stop at a small local ice-cream chain (four shops) for some very good ice cream... a scoop each of Belgian chocolate orange and egg-nog. Then...down for a nice three hour nap.
I'm up around 6:30PM for a a shower before getting dressed for dinner...tonight it's Manuel's for Mexican. I start with a hand-shaken "top shelf" Margarita before moving on to a few Prickly Pear Margaritas of the frozen kind...all good. For dinner, it's an enchilada combo plate with green tomatillo and red chile sauces...excellent. Why can't we get Mexican food like this at home!?!?
After dinner, I linger at the bar over a few Dos Equis Lagers to watch the Oregon-Oregon State game before cabbing back to the hotel for a well-deserved night of sleep.
A good day today.

No comments: