Saturday, December 12, 2009

Down South...Day Twelve...Friday, December 11, 2009...Heading East






This morning, I'm up to watch the sunrise, and I get a few good photos of the sun rising over the mountains surrounding my camp.
Then...it's the "never fun" job of breaking camp and packing up. Bob and Jay stop to say goodbye. Jay is, yet again, a VERY happy dog because he gets another bone from last night's steak. My fellow campers stop by to help me pack up and wish me a safe trip.
I'm heading for Galveston, but the plan is to drive until 6:00PM or so and find a hotel with a friendly tavern nearby. It's a sunny day, and I'm already wishing that I could have spent more time here in Big Bend...there's so much left to see and explore.
The 70-mile drive out of the Park is slow going (45MPH and all the Ranger vehicles have radar). Then, back out on Route 90 heading east. Around noon, I stop in Del Rio and have lunch at a cool tiny Mexican Restaurant called "Elena's" like the canyon). She cooks one thing only each day of the week...tamales on Mondays, enchiladas on Tuesdays, etc. Today is Chile relleno day and, man, is it good. The chile, rice, homemade refried beans, a small salad and a coke...all for $5.00!
Then, back on the road. It's around 6:00PM, and I'm having problems finding the hotel near the friendly tavern...plenty of hotels with no taverns, plenty of taverns with no hotel. Driving on, I finally stop about thirty miles west of Houston in the town of Katy, Texas. I check in at a Super 8 Hotel, and there's a Landry's Seafood restaurant next door...perfect. First...a 45 minute shower (a real luxury after three days in the "bush")...clean clothes. Then, over to Landry's for a few cocktails, a dozen oysters on the half-shell, and another dozen fried...life is good...very good.
Off to bed...and tomorrow...off to Galveston!

No comments: