Tuesday, June 15, 2010

38th Annual Sumer Picnic...Street Foods of Jerusalem






Despite the "rough start" to Picnic Week, all went smoothly. Shopping was completed on Tuesday and Wednesday...but loading groceries in the Mustang was a challenge without my Escape (in the shop).
Wednesday cooking goes well...I complete my list of things to cook by 9:00PM...allowing time for a few cocktails and an early night's sleep. Thursday cooking also goes very well...I'm ahead of schedule all day. And, in the afternoon, my friend, Mark Birnhart, arrives to assist. Mark does this every year and, each time, it's like the cavalry riding in to the rescue. Late Thursday night, my friend Terri arrives with son, Dave, and friend, Carl. We complete the day's tasks very early...8:30PM...instead of the usual midnight. On Friday, Mark is back and I've also got my friend Sue Garland over to help. Between the six of us, we "burn through" the schedule and wrap things up at 5:00PM...unheard of!!!
On Saturday, my team of chefs (Bill, Mark and Roland) are working with me like a finely-tuned machine. All of the food goes out on time and the pace of work is relaxed and comfortable.
All of the food is a "hit"...people particularly like the "Shakshuka" (eggs simmered in spicy tomato sauce) and the "Sabich" (fried eggplant, tea-steeped hard boiled egg and tomato salad served in a pita).
Desserts are served around 8:30PM, and I actually have time to spend with my guests. Meanwhile, people (particularly my good friend, Roger) are already hard at work in the kitchen cleaning up. By the time I finally hit the sack at midnight, things look pretty good.
All in all...a great Picnic!

No comments: