Thursday, June 24, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 7...Wednesday, June 23, 2010...Hiking Sprague Lake...Equipment Failure #1 (Good News)...Equipment Failure #2 (Bad News)






I managed to get out to the Visitor's Center early this morning and, once online, I managed to get my iPod working. Apple has the "five Steps" to try when there's a problem, and Step three did the trick. So...now I have music again.
Later in the morning, I drove out to Sprague Lake to hike the trail there. Another easy hike of three miles or so with some beautiful views. After that, had a late lunch of "junk food"...honey-roasted cashews, bbq chips, cheetos. I had planned to cook a hot lunch, but the regulator on my Coleman stove failed...spewing propane all over. I called around, and it looks like I'll have to drive the 45 miles or so down to Boulder tomorrow morning to get it replaced at an REI store. No morning coffee tomorrow!
I grilled another steak and some potatoes for dinner...excellent. Also opened a bottle of 2003 French Bordeaux...very good. A couple from Paris, France camped next to me in a rented motor home...they're traveling from San Francisco to Boston. They stopped over after dinner for some wine, and I played some French music off the iPod.
I think that they were somewhat taken aback by my knowledge of Paris and French food...we talked about the best places in Paris for ice cream, cheese...the best restaurants, etc. I think they were especially surprised to learn that I ate at one of their favorite restaurants in the Burgundy region, Lameloise. Very charming people and a great conversation.
It got cold early last night...down in the 40's. So...a good fire was welcome before heading off to bed around 10:00PM. The more that I sleep in the Little Guy Camper, the more I like it. The mattress is comfortable, and the insulation keeps me warm even when the temperature drops after sunset.
And...here's clue #3 in the "monumental event" quiz...

It lasts eight days...in the desert...of northern Nevada.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Is it the Reno Rodeo it lasts for 8 days.