Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 5...Monday, June 21, 2010...Two for One Specials




I had an ambitious plan to do some hiking today but spent most of the morning searching inside the Escape for my meds (found them after about an hour...behind and under the passenger seat). Having blown the best time for hiking, I head into the town of Estes Park for more supplies (ice and firewood), some window shopping, and lunch. The town is full of people...it takes me 45 minutes to find a parking spot. Ed's Cantina has been recommended for lunch...OK food, but the staff is very friendly. After lunch, I wander into a few shops before I find the coveted European-style sticker for Rocky Mountain National Park...or "RMNP". Later, I'm able to affix it to the Escape.
Back at camp, I relax and read for awhile (finishing "The Big Burn") before it's "cocktail time". Then, I st about preparing dinner. I've invited Adam and Sarah over for dinner...Tandoori chicken and a potato and fresh corn succotash. We share a few beers...and dinner is enhanced by some more of Adam and Sarah's "produce". Adam and Sarah love the chicken as well as the corn/potato saute.
After dinner, more conversation by the fir...but not for long. Adam and Sarah are heading out at 4:00AM for a non-stop drive to Key Wsst, Florida...I do not envy them that.
My campground is approximately 8800 feet above sea level, and there are some significant consequences to that. First, and most obvious, the air is thinner up here, so breathing is more difficult until you adjust. Fortunately, I had an Advair inhaler disc which helped the first night (Thanks Terri!). I also figured to wait a day or two before camping...adjustment time. Second, and more interesting, is the "Two for One" factor...the thin air intensifies the effects of alcohol...so...every drink (beer, wine, Margarita, etc.) has the effect of two...more buzz for the buck.
One other observation...the Campground "Hosts" are absolutely relentless in enforcing the rules with respect to camping in "bear country"...several times a day, they're cruising through the campground in a golf cart looking for unattended coolers, food, cooking equipment, glassware, etc. The "offending items" are confiscated, and you have to retrieve them at the Ranger Station after a stern lecture. Repeat offenders are fined.
And...one last thing. I've had conversations with several people on the trip so far, and I have learned that I have the opportunity to take part in something really big...monumental...something that I'll be talking about for years. So...what is it? I'll give daily clues, and we'll see who can guess that first. First clue...it lasts for eight days.

No comments: