Sunday, June 27, 2010

Part II...Camping Out West...Day 9...Friday, June 25, 2010...Fire!...Equipment Failure #3...Tom to the Rescue




Well...it's certainly been interesting around here since my last post.
Returning to my campsite after that last post at the Visitor's Center, I came upon a large group of people/vehicles blocking the road...another "squirrel sighting", I thought. But no...everyone was looking at he big fire on the ridge of mountains to the south and west. Back at the campground, I was assured by one of the Rangers that there was no danger...We've got it under control".
Thus reassured, I set about packing for tomorrow's trip south to Mesa Verde. After hitching up the camper, I connected the lights...and...nothing. My local auto place, Mufflers and More put in the first trailer harness in 2008...and that failed. Then they took ten days and $150.00 to put in the new one...and it has lasted just 16 days!?!?
One of my fellow campers, Tom from Erie, Pennsylvania, saw me struggling and offered to help. Soon he was on his back crawling under the Escape to check the wiring. We finally found that a fuse had blown...and Tom had a replacement. I'm back in business, thanks to Tom!
A light dinner, and early to bed...I've got a 450 mile drive tomorrow to get to Mesa Verde National Park.

No comments: