Monday, June 21, 2010

Camping Out Waest...Day Four...Sunday, June 20, 2010...A Relaxing Day






I spend my third night sleeping in the Little Guy camper...and it's really comfortable. There's a nice mattress, and I've got a down comforter to keep me warm...the temperatures drop into the 40's here pretty soon after sunset.
I cook myself a big breakfast...eggs, bacon, homemade bread, milk. Adam and Sarah stop by for a cup of my excellent coffee...home-roasted Costa Rican with a little Kenya AA added for acidity...freshly ground and brewed in the French Press...perfect.
Afer breakfast, I decide to head in to Estes Park for some supplies. The local Safeway store is nice...I pick up some steaks, chicken thighs and yoghurt to make Tandoori chicken, a case of Corona Longnecks (with the camper "detached", I don't have to worry about weight), and some ice.
Back at camp, I settle in for a relaxing afternoon of reading. I'm about halfway through a book titled "The Big Burn"... it's about the largest forest fire in U.S. history during the summer of 1910...covering an area of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming the size of the state of Connecticut. And woven within the story of the fire is the history of the founding of the U'S. Park Service under Teddy Roosevelt and headed by a man named Gifford Pinchot. It's a good read.
For lunch, I cook up a bunch of my "Gourmet" ramen noodles...they hit the spot. Around 4:00PM or so, it's "cocktail time"...a Margarita or two before dinner. For dinner, I grill myself a nice piece of tenderloin and boil up a few ears of corn...washed down with a 2005 Australian Shiraz...excellent!
Adam and Sarah have run out of fresh "produce", so they make a run down to Boulder to meet a friend and resupply. And later, they invite me to share. And...just as in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory and Bend, Oregon and so many other spots around the country, I'm sharing some "produce" with new friends.

No comments: