Friday, June 18, 2010

Camping Out West...Day Two...Friday, June 18, 2010




I was off to bed last night at 10:00PM...my first night sleeping in the "Little Guy". Fine until 1:00AM when a massive storm blew through. It rained so hard that it sounded like steel shot was being poured on the camper...lightning, thunder..slightly scary. I stayed up for over an hour until it passed over.
Comfortable in the camper...plenty of room...cozy.
Up early at 7:00AM and on the road by 7:30. Across Iowa...boring and flat. Then across Nebraska...also boring and flat. Past Lincoln, home of the Cornhuskers, new members of the Big 10...there are going to be some GREAT games with them.
I go through a massive storm 50 miles east of Omaha...black as night, heavy winds, pounding rain. I stop for gas, and the rain is so strong, that I'm soaked to the skin in seconds. Plus, I'm just getting used to pulling the camper, and it's blowing all over the road. But... a half an hour later, I'm through it...skies are clear...heading west.
I'm at my planned campground stop in Sterling, Colorado by 4:30PM. Time for some vino and Spanish lamb stew for dinner...excellent. There's another "teardrop camper" here, and the owner stops by to chat. There is a "fellowship" among owners of these campers...very cool.
I'm typing this by headlamp, so please forgive any "typos".
Tomorrow...I'll be hitting the first of the real mountains. Then, I'll find out whether the Escape can pull everything over the Rockies.
More news later.

No comments: