Monday, June 16, 2014

2014 Western Camping...Day 1...Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The “plan” was to leave on my camping trip yesterday, but a fehead out on this, the “best” day of the year for me. I pet each of the cats, then i'm out the door. It's about five hours to Mackinaw City...overcast skies, but light traffic.
Around 1:00PM, I get my “conference call” from Florida. There is money to be distributed. I have my ideas on distribution...they have theirs. I'm “tough” in the negotiations, and my ideas prevail. But I'm also careful to make some strategic concessions so that everybody can walk away a “winner”. I am very glad when the call is finally over.
The rest of the drive goes by quickly and, around 2:00PM, I'm pulling into the “Tee Pee” Campground. The owner is a friendly guy, and he puts me in one of the best camping sites in the whole park. Other than some playground equipment, I've got a great view of the bridge...and I'm close to the restrooms.
I set up camp pretty fast...I just have to hook up to electric and water. A couple have just been married, and the wedding party is getting photos taken on the beach under cloudy skies.
Around 5:00PM or so, I pour myself a healthy shot of Eagle Rare Bourbon on the rocks and relax at my picnic table. At 7:00PM, I walk about a 1/3 of a mile up the highway from the campground to the Blue Water Grill for dinner...another bourbon and a big platter of fried whitefish...very good. I chat with a guy at the bar...retired 101st Airborne. He just moved up here from Kalamazoo and bought 50 acres o0f land with a nice house...he's enjoying the solitude.
Around 8:30PM, I hike back to camp for a few beers before bed. It's cold, but I'm prepared. Last year, my cousin, Bill, and I froze our rearends off up here. So...this winter, I shopped sales on the Internet and bought down vests, jackets and other “cold weather” gear. Tonight, it's down in the low 40's, but I'm nice and warm in a down vest, fleece vest and flannel-lined jeans.
Around 10:00PM or so, I'm pretty tired...so...off to bed.

No comments: