Monday, June 30, 2014

2014 Western Camping...Day17...Thursday, June 19, 2014

Awaking from an uneasy sleep, I am greeted by sunny skies. I make coffee, and start to make plans.
I still have not heard from my counsel in Florida, and I'm really going back and forth on what to do. This morning, I've convinced myself that I will probably need to cancel my camping trip and return to Florida. Over coffee, I plot different routes back from Colorado to Florida...five days drive hard...six days drive moderate...seven days drive easy. I plan where to stop and camp along the way.
I'm not quite finished driving west yet though. My friends, Bill and Kathy Lamping, live in Denver...and it's only another 120 miles west to Denver. So...I call Bill and let him know that I'm on the way.
Before leaving Sterling, however, I drive into town and have lunch at a good little Mexican restaurant...beef and cheese enchiladas smothered in green chile sauce. Excellent!
My arthritis has really been acting up of late...and “traditional” medications are not helping. Fortunately, the nice people of Colorado recently passed a ballot measure to allow arthritis sufferers like me to easily access non-traditional “herbal” remedies. Arriving in Denver, I head for “Altitudes Medical and Recreational Dispensary”. I am greeted with a friendly smile, and Michael is assigned as my “budtender”. We go over all of the various forms of medicines available. I end up leaving with not only the traditional “herbal” material, but also hard candies, brownies, cookies, lollipops, and toffee.
What a great country we live in!
Around 5:00, I meet Bill at his apartment building. There's street parking next to a construction site across from Bill's apartment building, so I park there and tip the construction security guard $20 to keep an eye on the camper.
Up in the apartment, Bill pours me a large Woodford Reserve Bourbon on the rocks (well...rock...one very large cube of ice). As I start to relax, my phone rings...it's my Florida counsel! To make a long story short, he tells me that I'm crazy if I come to Florida. Go ahead and enjoy the camping trip...he'll handle everything until I get back home. The irony of this is that, over thirty years as an attorney, I told countless clients of my own the same thing. It's so different when you're the client, not the attorney.
So...now I feel the best I've felt in days. Bill and I head to a nice upscale Denver restaurant called “Trillium”. We get four-course tasting menus with wine...beet salad, grilled pork chop, air-cured beef with goat cheese, lots of different wines, and great desserts. It's all good.
After dinner, we stop at a fun little basement bar connected to a bbq restaurant. At the bar, the bartenders are making artisan cocktails with house-made ingredients and hand-chipped ice cubes. Bill has a good scotch and I have a Breckenridge Bourbon.
Back at Bill's, I get to sleep for a night in a “real” bed. My spirits are up...my camping trip is back on tracl.

No comments: