Monday, July 1, 2013

North to Alaska"...Day 26...Saturday, June 29, 2013

Another short drive today...just 30 mile from Muncho Lake to Liard Hot Springs. Yes..."that" Liard Hot Springs where, in 2008, I had the absolute worst experience of my whole trip to Alaska and back...at the "infamous" Liard Hot Springs Lodge. The two hours to check in...the filthy cabin...the inedible hamburger...yes, it's all coming back.
Cousin Bill and I are taking no chances...we are staying at the Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park...no electricity, but only $21.00/night.
We get our campsites and head almost immediately for the "springs". A half-mile walk on a boardwalk through a marsh to the river. It's my favorite hot spring because it's all natural...you sit in the river fed by the springs. Move one way for cooler water, up another way for hotter. An hour of soaking in all of that, and I'm in heaven.
Back to the campsite for cocktails and dinner. I scramble eggs, ham and cheese for dinner...excellent with a bottle of Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel.
After dinner, I head back to the springs for an hour or so. Then...back to camp for a few beers and some nice music. I suffer a catastrophic iPod failure...wiping out my entire library of music...nice. I'm up until after midnight trying to fix that without success.
Meanwhile, Cousin Bill heads back to the springs around 1:000 and enjoys an evening of nudity, vodka and "arthritis medicine". Man...how could I miss that!!

No comments: