Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 43...Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Man...I have slept like a baby. I woke up once at 4:30, rolled over and immediately went back to sleep. When I roll out of the camper at 8:30, I've slept a full ten hours...and I feel great.
I brew coffee in the French press and enjoy that in some very comfortable 60 degree temperatures. My campground has free showers...so I take a full half hour on that...shave...clean clothes.
I send a few emails to Cousin Bill, but I am concerned because the one I sent last night has been returned because his email service's server is down. I don't have cell phone service yet, so I can't contact him.
Around 11:30, I pull out of the campground and head down the road for the 95 mile drive to Fairbanks. The weather is overcast and the temperature is up to 66 as I roll down the highway...the roads are good.
A little after 1:30, I'm in Fairbanks and head directly to one of my favorite places for ice cream in the world..."Hot Licks". I get a bowl with double chocolate, malted vanilla and grapenuts chip...all really, really good. Then I set off on a semi-successful search for cigars. One place is out of business, another is not where it's supposed to be (according to my Garmin)...the third place is just OK...nothing much good, but I pick up for "Churchills" to replenish my stock.
Not far from Hot Licks, there's a campground...and there I find Cousin Bill! He's OK...just laid up for awhile with a bad cold. I get a campsite close by, and we spend a few hours chatting away. He panned for gold in Chicken, Alaska and got three grams. One of the people who worked for the campground in Chicken got attacked and mauled by a bear...sadly, later shot.
Cousin Bill is laying low, but I am hungry...very hungry. I haven't had a good meal since Dawson City...and tonight, I want Prime Rib.
So...around 5:30, I drive ten miles or so north of Fairbanks to the "Turtle Club"...reportedly serving the best Prime rib in Fairbanks. It's a nice little place...rustic in the "Alaskan style". The gal at the bar mixes a great Manhattan, and I order the 24 oz. "Miner's Cut". It's good, but not great. There is great Prime Rib in Alaska...and I am determined to find it!
After dinner, I head back to Hot licks for a second round...more double chocolate plus malted vanilla. I am stuffed.
Then...back to the campground...a few beers...post to the blog. Now I am ready for bed.
Tomorrow, Cousin Bill and I head 50 miles north to Chena Hot Springs...hot springs, $25.00 campsites, a great lounge, and a very good restaurant. Should be fun.

No comments: