Monday, July 22, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 48...Sunday, July 21, 2013

I've decided to spend another day in Talkeetna, so there's no hurry this morning.The sun is out and the sky clear as I make coffee in the French press...have some yoghurt and granola...relax.
After a shower, I spend some time on the Internet. This campground has excellent Wi-Fi, so I'm able to upload a lot of photos and download several weeks worth of podcasts (all techno) to my iPod.
Around 1:00, I take the nice 1/2 mile stroll into downtown Talkeetna.
I stop at Denali Brewing where Amber greets me by name. I want to have lunch at the little Thai place in town, but they are busy...an hour wait for food. Instead, I opt for pizza/Greek salad. There, I meet Amy...moved to Talkeetna eight years ago...loves it...drives a huge Crown Victoria.
After lunch, it's more bar-hopping...the Rib, the Fairview Inn, the Tee Pee. Around 6:00, I'm hungry again, so I head back to the Thai place for spring rolls and shrimp soup...both very good.
Close to 8:00, I hike back toward the campground...making one last stop at Latitude 62 for one last beer. Well...not the last one...I have two or three back at camp before bed.
I talked to Cousin Bill...he's feeling much better and has driven down to Denali from Fairbanks. He's got whitewater rafting and ATV excursions planned at Denali (those are not possible for me on my "austerity budget"). Tomorrow, I head to Anchorage for four days...Cousin Bill should be there on the last day. From Anchorage, we'll be heading south down the Kenai Peninsula.

No comments: