Sunday, July 14, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 39...Friday, July 12, 2013

I am finding this hard to comprehend. It is actually COLDER this morning that it was yesterday...the panel display in the Explorer says 29 degrees...in July!
That's where I'm sitting this morning...the Explorer with the heat on full blast...enjoying yesterday's coffee from the Thermos...still hot...sorta.
Like yesterday, it's in the 40's by 10:00. Cold or not, I'm hiking today. The first two or three miles of that 20-mile trail are nice and level through the forest...so that's where I head. It's a nice short and easy hike...no wildlife, but a pretty little creek and some interesting flowers. I've taken my "Pocket Rocket" stove and some "gourmet" ramen for lunch and I cook that on a big rock by the creek...very satisfying (and warming).
Then it's back to camp for the usual drill...gather firewood/kindling...cocktails...leftover penne and the last of the Chianti for dinner.
As the sun sets, there are some interesting things to observe...a halo of colors around the sun (like a rainbow). Later a "vertical" rainbow rising straight up from behind the mountains. And, later still, some really cool cloud formations.
Another fire...but there is just not enough firewood or CatDaddy available to keep me warm out here indefinitely. I had planned to spend another day/night here, but I have changed my mind.
I'm "wimping out". I want to go where it's warm.
So, before bed, I pack up and hitch up. Tomorrow, I've got a "monster" 429-mile drive to Haines Junction and Kluane National Park. Early to bed to get an early start.

No comments: