Sunday, July 14, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 38...Thursday, July 11, 2013

When I wake up this morning, it's mighty cold...no...make that freezing. I dash from the camper to the Explorer and get the heat going on high. The display panel in the Explorer indicates that it is 34 degrees!!!
I venture out of the camper several times. Get out the stove...back in the camper. Set up the stove...back in the camper. Grind coffee...back in the camper. Boil water...back in the camper. Brew coffee, pour a cup...back in the camper.
By 10:00, the temperature has risen to 40 degrees (and I've burned through a couple of gallons of expensive Canadian gasoline). I decide that this might be a good day to explore the Park from the comfort (warmth) of my vehicle. So, after some yoghurt and granola for breakfast, I set out to explore.
I stop often and take plenty of photos. I drive all the way up to the northern boundary of the Park...where the mountains start to fall away before the broad plains all the way up to the arctic. By afternoon, the temperature is up in the low 50's, so I stop at a roadside pull-out and have some salami, cheese and triscuits for lunch. Then more driving and more photos.
Late in the afternoon, I'm back at the campground picking up firewood and scavenging for kindling. I enjoy the last few glasses of a nice white wine blend from Oregon. Then I open a bottle of Chianti to enjoy alongside my penne with Marinara sauce and Italian sausage...very satisfying.
Once again, as the sun slips behind the mountains, the temperature starts dropping. So...I start another fire to enjoy before bed. It's not as cloudy as last night, so I'm able to get some nice photos at sunset. That's another great thing about this Park...there's a wonderful interplay between light and shadow. All day and into the evening, the view changes as different peaks are illuminated then bathed in shadow.
Another glass of CatDaddy while I enjoy the fire before bed. Once I leave the comfort of the fire, however, it is cold...really, really cold. And it's the middle of July!
Time for bed before I freeze!

No comments: