Friday, July 5, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 30...Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cousin Bill and I are up early for coffee and a "strategy session". For the day, we're thinking we'll visit the local game preserve, stop in at the local coffee roaster, and make a stop at Takhini Hot Springs. Looking forward, Bill thinks we should take the "White Pass/Yukon Railway" train down to Skagway...spend a few days...take a catamaran trip to Juneau...I'm in! We book everything online and by phone...no hassles...no worries!
After coffee, we head to the game preserve and take the "tour. Very cool...deer, bison, lynx, moose...lots of animals. Then we make a stop at the coffee roasters for a mocha and two pounds of freshRroasted Ugandan beans...very nice. Then...on to Takhini Hot Springs...a man-made pool fed by springs up the mountain...relaxing!!!
Then...back to camp. I have my afternoon Manhattan and head into Whitehorse for a great dinner. Cousin Bill has leftover lamb chops from last night, so he stays in camp.
I head for the "Cork & Bull". Right away, my bartender, Blaine, impresses by making a fabulous Manhattan...as good, or better, than my own. No Prime Rib, but I get a Rib Eye that is cooked perfectly...Caesar Salad..."loaded" baked potato...Pinot Gris...Carmenere..."wow"...it's all perfect! I even get ice cream for dessert.
Back at camp, I head for the campground office...I need to find out where/how I can park my camper for three days and get a cab for the train station. This being the Yukon, none of that is a problem. I can park at the campground for free, and the bus for the train will pick me up right at the campground. It helped, perhaps, that Cousin Bill and I invited the campground manager, Linda, over to our campsite last night for beers and "arthritis medicine".
Life is good...way up here in the Yukon!

No comments: