Sunday, July 7, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 33...Saturday, July 6, 2013

I'm up around 6:30 and wander over to the local cafe for coffee. Cousin Bill is already there having breakfast. I order a "breakfast sandwich" (egg, sausage and cheese on an English muffin), coffee and a glass of milk. With tip, that works out to about $17.00. No one ever said that it was cheap up here.
After breakfast, I head back to my hotel to pack up. At 8:30, Cousin Bill picks me up, and we're on our way...back over White Pass to Whitehorse. It's a cloudy day and, as we head up and over the mountains, we're drivi8ng through the clouds. Wes top in Fraser at Canadian Customs...declare the beer (and Bourbon) that we bought in Skagway...then we're on our way again.
We stop for awhile in the town of Carcross (short for "Caribou Crossing")..I get some ice cream...Cousin Bill gets a few photos of Kechi.
Around noon, we reach the Hi Country Campground in Whitehorse. I spend a few hours on "maintenance"...unload, clean and repack the coolers, unpack from Skagway...shower and shave.
Bill's got leftovers for dinner, so I head downtown to a Korean restaurant, "Fusion" for dinner. It's pretty good...I have a few Japanese beers, an order of dumplings, and the beef Bulgogi (spicy!).
After dinner, I head back to camp. The weather has cleared, and it's actually warm and sunny. Over a few beers, Cousin Bill and I go over our itinerary for the next few days. Bill may stay in Whitehorse for another day while I head for Dawson City. I've planned a route that avoids the dreaded "Top of the World Highway", but Bill wants to drive that. So...we might split up for a few days and reunite in Tok, Alaska sometime next week.
We're both pretty "beat" after the last few days in Skagway. It's a struggle to stay awake much past 9:00. By 9:30, we're both "out like a light".

No comments: