Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 49...Monday, July 21, 2013

Well...it was quite the night last night in Anchorage. But more on that later...

This morning in Talkeetna, it's bright and sunny. I have a few cups of coffee...yesterday's is still hot in my thermos...while I make use of my campground's excellent Wi-Fi.
I've acquired an extra shower token, so I take advantage of that with my second shower in as many days. A "first" on this trip!
Around 10:30 or so, I head out for the 120 mile or so drive to Anchorage. On the way out of Talkeetna, I stop at a pulloff on the Spur Road. I know from my last trip that this pulloff has a really great view of Mt. McKinley. But...because Mt. McKinley is said to create it's own cloudy weather, the chances of getting a good photo of the mountain are only one in ten. This particular morning, I'm in luck...I've got a great view of the mountain...so...lots of photos.
All along the drive to Anchorage, I've got Mt. McKinley in view behind me...more photos.
Around 2:00, I arrive at Ship Creek RV Campground...again I'm in luck...have a nice shady spot available for four nights. Once I set up camp, I unhitch the camper and head out shopping. The best cigar shop in town is closed, but I make a grocery stop for yoghurt, ice, etc.
Back at camp, I manage to get in a load of laundry and, while it dries, I make myself a nice big Manhattan. I'm less than a mile from downtown Anchorage, but it's a brutally steep walk up to the street...so I call a cab.
Soon, I'm relaxing at the bar at Simon & Seafort's enjoying another Manhattan. I strike up a conversation with Tom (Anchorage in the summer, Florida in the winter), and he invites me to join him at a table for dinner. Tom eats here every Monday, so he knows every waitress in the place. So, in addition to some excellent conversation, I also get great service. I get oysters (very good), a Caesar salad (excellent) and a large cut of Prime Rib (sublime). All of this gets washed down with several glasses of great wine.
After dinner, I head over to "Darwin's Theory", my favorite Anchorage bar. I have a couple of beers with more interesting conversations.
Around 9:00 or so, I cab back to the campground. I figure that I'll have a nightcap and head to bed early. Not a chance. I'm soon joined by Steve and Sandra...then Bob...all fellow campers. Iget out the iPod boombox...everybody loves "Girltalk"...more beers..."arthritis medicine" appears and gets passed around. Everything is going fine until I break out the CatDaddy. Everybody does a couple of shots of that...and...a half hour later...it's "lights out".
Around midnight, I slide into the camper for bed. I will pay for this night tomorrow morning...I know that.

No comments: