Monday, July 15, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 41...Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's been happening ever since people first arrived up here...the "emptiness...the nights when it never gets dark...the rugged environment...the loneliness. It gets to a person...gets inside their head...and does things.

Cousin Bill has "gone rogue"

But more on that later.

Wow...a good night's sleep, and it's all the way up into the mid-40's when I get up. I still have a Sirius radio signal, so I'm listening to CNN as I make my morning coffee...followed by yoghurt and granola. Then off to another great shower...only 25 cents (cdn) per minute. I splurge for a full $3.00...hey, you only live once.
When I first came up here in 2008, I was on a strict schedule. Iwas meeting my (then) friend, Paul, and his son in Anchorage on a date certain...so I didn't have a lot of time to "linger" in places. When I came upon Kluane National Park, I was truly sorry that I was not able to stop. It's magnificent here...tall ice-capped mountains wrapped around a huge lake that is crystal blue. I said to myself that, if I ever got back up here, I would spend some time at Kluane.
So...now I'm back up here, and I'm spending that time. Today, I drive up the length of the Park...along the mountains, then along the lake. It's just as beautiful as I remember.
In the afternoon, I stop by the Visitor's Center to get hiking information. I want to hike and camp in the Park. The cute Canada Parks gal (who, by the way, is fluent in French) is named Wendy...and she is very helpful. She recommends the St. Elias Lake Trail...only about 9 km...400 meter elevation gain...rated moderate...campground with Pit Toilets...perfect. So, I get a "back country pass" and rent a "bear box" in which to store my food.
Then...it's back to the Kluane Park Inn lounge for a few cold ones and some "local color". There have been some burglaries in town of late, and the list of possible suspects is short...very short. The fact that only vodka and cigarettes were taken further narrows down the "list". A long-time local, Hank, passed away earlier today...most of the town will be at his funeral. I have a nice conversation with the bartender, Debbie, who describes in detail how tough a life it is up here.
At 8:00, I'm back at the campground to make dinner...pasta...gotta load up on carbs for that hike. Several of my fellow campers come over to chat...a nice gut from northern Saskatchewan and a fun couple from Spooner, Wisconsin.
Ah...and Cousin Bill. Well...I'm without communication with him right now...but...he's out here...somewhere.

In any case, around 10:00, I'm settling into the camper for bed. Big hiking day tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Bill for this post, I really needed to read this and get me back on track!