Sunday, July 21, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 44...Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The drive to Chena Hot Springs is only around 60 miles, so I can afford to sleep in this morning. I'm finally up and about around 8:00...coffee from the thermos while trying (without success) to get on the campground Wi-Fi.
I see Cousin Bill moving around two campsites over, so I go over to see how he's doing...not so good. He's still got that nasty cold, and it hasn't gotten any better. He's planning on napping for most of the day.
I've got to be checked out of the campground by 10:00...so...around 9:50 or so, I'm heading out. Not far from the campground, I pass a Falafel stand...hmm...I love falafel, and I'm really hungry. It doesn't open until 11:00, so I drive back and park just outside the campground. I get their Wi-Fi signal, so I check emails, post to Facebook, etc.
At 11:05 or so, I'm enjoying an excellent falafel sandwich...pita, falafel balls, lots of vegetables and hummus...very tasty and, for me, healthy.
Sandwich finished, I head out once again...but this time I pass Hot Licks Ice Cream. They open at 12:00...so...I sit in the parking lot for 35 minutes or so until they open. Two big scoops later (double chocolate and pistachio), I am at last on the road to Chena Hot Springs.
I head north out of Fairbanks and pick up Chena Hot Springs Road...a nice 55 mile drive through low mountains and lots of forests. Along the way, I see an adult moose and her young calf. They're standing in the middle of the road, but they bolt for the forest as I approach...so...no photos.
I get to the lodge around 2:00...register and park at my $20/night campsite...then head right for the hot springs. It's a big "pool", surrounded by huge rocks, with a gravel bottom. I'm wearing my hiking shorts and my "water sandals" (very handy). The pool is very relaxing...you can maneuver around until you get the perfect water temperature. So...for the next two hours, I'm 30 minutes in, ten minutes out, thirty minutes in, etc.
Then I'm out and back at my campsite for a nice Manhattan before dinner. I later head over to the lounge where the bartender, Natalie, makes me another Manhattan. Manhattans are Natalie's drink of choice, so she really knows how to make them. I get a big pile of crab legs for dinner...excellent with several glasses of Oregon Pinot Gris. I meet three guys from New Jersey...Mike, Mike, and the other guy. They're big Rutgers fans and looking forward to playing UM in the future. They are nice guys...they give me phone numbers..."Call if you need a place to park"..."Call me if you need tickets"..."I bartend in Manhattan, come by and visit".
After dinner, I head back to the springs...and things really start to "heat up". A bottle of Jaegermeister appears...some schnapps..."arthritis medicine" is passed around...several ladies have adopted a "clothing optional" policy. I stay way too long, but I'm having too much fun to leave just yet.
Finally, close to midnight, I head back to camp. I will definitely sleep very well this particular evening.

No comments: