Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 50...Tuesday, July 22, 2013

It's 8:30AM...I'm awake in the camper...and my head hurts. That's the price that I am paying for last night's "indiscretions".
Bleary-eyed, I stagger out of the camper...men's room...stove, pot, water...coffee...ah. An orange juice gulped down...ah.
At 10:30, I start my laundry...one load of sheets and one load of "camping clothes". Wrong dryer setting...another 45 minutes...I'm not done until after 1:00. In between loads, yoghurt and granola for breakfast.
Laundry done, I make my bed and repack my camper. Then, it's over to G&P Tobacco to restock on cigars...50 Hondurans for $150.00. When I pull out my wallet, I discover that my American Express card is missing...this is not good. I retrace my steps from last night...Simon & Seafort's for dinner (I have a receipt)...then Darwin's Theory...all those shots...I have a receipt. I call Darwin's...Cindy has my card...whew! I drive to Darwin's where Cindy proffers my card with some advice..."Yo, dude, maybe you should limit your shots to five or less at any one sitting". Good advice, Cindy, really good advice.
Card in hand (wallet), I head to the local Best Buy and WalMart. I pride myself on having everything, and I mean everything, for camping, but cousin Bill has showed me a "weakness". I have an iPod boombox...great for music...and a Sirius radio boombox, but that doesn't work up here...I need an AM/FM/ Short Wave radio. Nobody has what I want...so...late in the afternoon, I return to my campground...shower...shave...change clothes.
At around 4:30, I call a cab. I head to the "Club Paris" where I'm meeting my best bud Roger's cousin, Renee, for dinner. They make a great Manhattan at the "Club"...I have two. Renee is there around 5:00. I first met Renee up here in 2008. I saw her at Don's party in June...and it's nice to see her again. She gets a salad and a filet...I get a Caesar Salad and Prime Rib(of course!)....my salad and beef are top-notch...my best yet. We wash our dinners down with Cabernet and Malbec.
After dinner, Renee walks me over to "Crush Wine Bar" and bids me farewell. At Crush, I do two "flights" of reds...Malbec, Pinotage, Barbera...you name it. But...I am not repeating last night's mistake...so...around 9:00, I take a cab back to the campground.
So...here I sit...beer in hand...listening to the soundtrack from the movie "The Descendants...why not listen to music from our 50th state while in our 49th state.
Lots of very cool cirrus cloud formations. More beer...maybe some CatDaddy...NO!!!!

No comments: