Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Down South...Day Fifty-Five...Saturday, January 23, 2010






It's my last day here at the Park, so I'm up early to get the most out of the time left here. I'm hungry again, so I cook up another breakfast of eggs and some leftover Skirt Steak...the Breakfast of Champions.
Later in the morning, I go for a short hike off of my campground...then I drive back down the Park road for some shorter hikes and some more photos. This eats up most of the day, and it's nearly 5:00PM by the time I finally get back to camp.
Then...a call from Mom. "are you coming back here next week or the week after?". Before I can say..."No, I'm coming TOMORROW", the call is disconnected. Panicky, I call back...no answer. I call over and over, and all that I get is voicemail. Desperate, I call Mom's boyfriend, Ace. As those of you who have met Ace know, he is an exceptionally fine man...and he treats my Mom very well. His hearing at age 91, however, leaves much to be desired. When I tell him that it's "Billy" calling, he responds: "It's chilly??". When I ask for "Mom", he responds: "Is this Norm??". When I ask to speak to "Ginny", he responds: "Who's Jimmy??". This is getting me nowhere...it's like tying to communicate with E.T.
I've got some more Skirt Steak to grill, so I enjoy a Martini (Stoli with just a touch of Vermouth in the glass only, swish and dump...I've even got a few olives) before commencing the cooking. This Skirt Steak is as good, if not better, than that from last night...all the more so with a bottle of Marcques de Caceres Riserva Rioja...yum.
And then...my last night in the Escape for radio, the rest of the Rioja and a few beers. I figure that I can always recreate my camping adventures at home...just hop in the Escape when the sun goes down.
Soon, I'm snug in my sleeping bag inside of my tent. Now to sleep...with the slightly uneasy thought of whether there will be anyone home when I get to Mom's tomorrow.

No comments: