Monday, January 25, 2010

Down South...Day Fifty-Three...Thursday, January 21, 2010



If you needed any further proof of how much time I'm spending in the Escape at night...I'll tell you...I've burned up over a half a tank of gas. Since it's over fifty miles to the nearest gas station, I've decided that it's time to get out of the Park for awhile. I figure that I can gas up, head over to the South Miami area for Sushi at Miyako of Dadeland ( a GREAT place that Mark and Faith turned me on to), and make a quick stop at a Border's Books to use their Wi-Fi and check some emails.
So...after a few cups of coffee, I'm on my way. It's not far to Dadeland, but traffic is heavy...so the trip takes a little short of two hours.
The Sushi, as with my last visit, is superb. The owner and Sushi chef, Toshi, is highly-skilled. There's no Sushi "menu" here...rather, Toshi engages you in a pleasant conversation to find out what kinds of Sushi you like. Then, he creates his little "masterpiece". It's all going down great with a bottle of Sapporo and a glass of room temperature Sake...excellent!!
Then, it's over to a Barnes & Noble for a little Internet time before filling up the tank and heading back to camp. Just outside Homestead, I ran across a cool little fruit stand , called "Robert Is Here". They had dozens of rare and exotic tropical fruits...most of which I had never heard of, let alone seen before. They also make milkshakes with the fruit...so I opted for a Canistel milkshake...the Canistel is about the size of a large orange, yellow in color, and the inside is creamy and custardy. Despite still being stuffed from the Sushi, this milkshake was absolutely fantastic.
By dinnertime (5:30PM), I'm still stuffed from lunch (not to mention the milkshake)...so...it's just a piece of leftover Tandoori chicken and a few glasses of my favorite Portuguese red.
And then...you guessed it!...back into the Escape to visit with my friends, Wolf and Ms. Stella Artois.
The whole camp is usually "lights out" by 9:00PM or so...and I'm right there with them. I slip quickly into my tent lest I also let in the mosquitoes. I'm asleep within minutes.

No comments: