Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Down South...Day Forty...Friday, January 8, 2010...Down to Cousin Bill's in Ft. Myers



I'm up fairly early...9:00AM or so. I'm leaving today for Ft. Myers, and I've got a lot of packing to do. I unloaded a lot of camping gear when I got to Ed and Molly's, and now that all has to be repacked. It's slow going as I have to unpack just about everything in the Escape in order to "repack"...plus, there's a rainy drizzle throughout the whole process. It's after 11:00AM before I'm packed up and on the road.
Then...there's the matters of gas and lunch. I stop in Brandon for gas and slip into a place called Firehouse Subs for a bite to eat...a decent sub.
Back on the road, I don't get to North Ft. Myers until after 4:00PM. I really enjoy my time with my cousin Bill...he's like the brother that I never had. I always feel welcome visiting him and his wife Nancy. We like to sit around, drinking wine (usually a lot of wine) and retell old family stories...the exploits of my late grandmother, stories about my father and Bill's father...and, of course, plenty of stories about all the trouble I got into when I was a boy...burning up cement mixers, stealing the neighborhood mail, hitting the "emergency stop" on escalators, plugging up toilets up and down the East Coast, pouring insecticide into ice machines at hotels in Florida...the list goes on and on.
Bill and Nancy have a great house right on the bay in Ft. Myers...great views and lots of wildlife. Tonight, they're baking pizzas...and cousin Bill has put together nice little salads with bibb lettuce, avocado and shrimp...all good. Of course, you can't have pizza without red wine...so I pull a few bottles from my "travel stash". It's a fun evening...and a late night.

No comments: