Friday, January 15, 2010

Down South...Day Forty-Two...Sunday, January 10, 2010...Down to the Keys



My timing is perfect...right about the time that I wake up, Bill's got coffee and some great blueberry buckwheat pancakes for breakfast. Then it's pulling together my stuff and loading up for the trip down to Mark and Faith's in the Keys. Before I leave Bill and I pose for a few photos with Bill holding up the chunk of ice from the bird bath outside...I told you it was cold down here!
Then it's off through Ft. Myers, down I-75 and across Alligator Alley on the way to the Keys. The sun breaks through the clouds eventually, but it's still only in the low 50's.
I get to Mark and Faith's around 4:30PM and, within a few minutes, I'm totally relaxed...vodka on the rocks in one hand and petting my favorite cat, Petey, with the other hand. Mark's got the NFL playoffs on, so we watch the Green Bay/Arizona game...a great one with lots of scoring, overtime and a surprise finish.
Faith puts together a "cheese plate" for dinner...but...this is not just any cheese plate. This is a "feast" of multiple cheeses, fresh pears, apples, dates, figs, crackers, bread, salami...you name it. We eat for, maybe, two hours before we're stuffed.
Mark and I sit around for a few hours...telling old stories and finishing off the rest of a bottle great red wine. Then...off to bed. I always sleep great down here, and tonight is no exception.

No comments: