Sunday, January 31, 2010

Down South...Day Fifty-Six...Sunday, January 24, 2010..."He Lost His Job, And He Sleeps Outside"

I'm breaking camp this morning, so I'm up again before sunrise. I mad extra coffee yesterday morning, and my Nissan Thermos has kept it piping hot...so I'm enjoying my first cup early.
Then the ritual of breaking camp...tables and chairs broken down and loaded, grill and stove packed up and loaded, sleeping pad and sleeping bag rolled and loaded, tent down and loaded. All of this takes a few hours, so I'm not on the road until 9:00AM or so. I'm heading north to Palm City and Mom's but, after Mom's call yesterday, I can't be sure if anyone will be home.
Driving out of the Park, stop again in Homestead for one of those great milkshakes at "Robert is Here". This morning, I choose one made with Sapodilla, a small prurplish fruit with a tough skin and a custardy interior that tastes like chocolate pudding...it makes a GREAT milkshake!
Then I'm on the Florida Turnpike and, later, I-95 heading north. I stop in Palm Beach for lunch (P.F. Changs) and pick up a few items at the Apple Store. Then...Mom calls...she's home...no problems...maybe.
When I finally get to Palm City, Mom is not home...but her car is in the driveway, which means she can't be far. An hour or so later, she and Ace pull up...I'm in!
I have a little time before dinner to unpack a few things and relax with a cocktail. Plus, Mom"s home phone has been disconnected (she called me earlier on her cell), so we work on that for awhile with Comcast.
Then...it's off to dinner at the Palm City Grill a pretty good place).
Mom is not yet entirely comfortable with mt retirement. My Dad worked (partly as a consultant) well into his 70's, and I expect that Mom thought that I'd do the same. As a result, her explanation of my current status is not always flattering. I think (hope?) that what she means to say is...
"My son worked hard, rose the to the top of his profession, and was able to
retire early. Now he travels the country, camping in our great National
Parks and sleeping under the stars."
Unfortunately, what she most often tells people is...
"He lost his job, and he sleeps outside."
So...tonight, we're at the Palm City Grill enjoying a nice dinner. Some friends of Mom and Ac come in, and Ace introduces me (as he always does) as "Ginny's baby". This time one of their friends remarks..."Wow, he's a pretty big baby", and we all laugh. Mom, however, is convinced that this statement was an insult...meant to imply that I am fat. No amount of explaining otherwise will change her mind...so...most of dinner is spent discussing my weight.
Thankfully, dinner ends at last, and soon we're back at Mom's. Time to watch a little football...Minnesota/New Orleans is an exciting game...and enjoy a few beers before bed...none too soon.

No comments: