Monday, January 25, 2010

Down South...Day Fifty-Two...Wednesday, January 20, 2010





Election night or not, it was still an early one last night. As a result, I am again up before the sunrise....performing the morning "coffee ritual". When the sun comes up, I decide to cook some breakfast...eggs, bacon, some Cuban bread...now I'm ready for some hiking.
In the morning, I hike about two miles from my campsite to the Flamingo Visitor's center...a nice path along the water (albeit again close to the dead fish). There's a little grocery near the Visitor's Center, so I stop in there to scout around...I'll need ice for the smaller "beverage cooler" later. Then back to camp for lunch...Indomie Satay Noodles...nice and spicy with some leftover grilled shrimp.
After lunch, I drive out to a place called Coot's Bay for a little more hiking. But, it's not really the place to hike...besides...too close to the gators. So...I drive a little farther down the road and come upon a short trail...a mile or so in and out.
Now it's back to camp for a few Margaritas...along with some music from my little iPod "boombox"...techno in the wilderness! Sundown is always in my thoughts...so...around 4:00PM or so, I fire up the grill again. Tonight, it's leftover shrimp, grilled Tandoori chicken, and some more of that great potato salad.
It's feeling a lot like "Groundhog Day" as I'm back sitting in the Escape by 6:30PM or so...my only companions, Wolf Blitzer and Mr. Heineken...another early night.

No comments: