Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 27...Bad Luck on Weather...a Moose Sighting...the two (or more) Pitchers of Fate





Bad luck on weather today. I woke up at 6:00AM to the steady drumbeat of rain on my tent. Temperature was in the low (very) 50's, but my Kelty +50F sleeping bag (and lots of clothes) kept me comfortable.
We headed over to the WAC (Wilderness Access Center) at 8:30 to catch our 9:30 bus to the Toklat River for hiking. We never made it...there was a heavy snow that's right, snow in August, that made the narrow gravel roads too hazardous to travel. So...we made it about 35 miles into Denali and then had to turn around. Bad luck, but I did "negotiate" for two free bus tickets with the same destination for next week...so...weather permitting...I can go hike twice next week when I return to Denali.
We had a great moose sighting (see photos) and did see more spectacular scenery. Still...my hiking "urge" is not yet satisfied, and I've got to come back.
To celebrate our moose sighting, Paul and I have split three pitchers of Stella Artois ber and several "Jager" shots because we don't want to return to our cold and damp campsite...just yet.
Tomorrow, we return to Anchorage where we hope to meet up with two cousins of my good friend, Roger Kavasger, for a cocktail or two.
As always, more...much more...later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Moose AND snow! I was beginning to think you made up the moose. Did you get his name? Have you seen any flying squirrels? I was wishing I was with you until you mentioned snow. We will have that soon enough here. Thank you very much for the reminder. sigh. Happy Hiking

Tiger said...

Very cool moose picture...bummer about the rain and snow but hiking sounds so very much fun.