Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 37...Tombstone to Whitehorse




A relaxing five hour or so drive down from Tombstone to Whitehorse. I drove about 24 miles back out the Dempster Highway, and the rest on the Klondike Highway...not a bad stretch of road...paved with only a few "loose gravel patches".
I got into Whitehorse around 5:00PM, checked in to a hotel and immediately took a thirty+ minute shower...ah, the things we so often take for granted. Now fully "clean", I set off for dinner at the Cellar Steakhouse and Wine Bar in the Edgewater Hotel. That photo shows me very contented after polishing off two martinis, a Caesar salad, a half pound of crab legs, a "large-cut" piece of prime rib, two glasses of pinot blanc, and two glasses of a malbec/syrah blend...pure gustatory bliss! And...for dessert, I was able to persuade my bartender, Sandra, to make one of my famous rum milkshakes, albeit a "toned down" version.
After dinner, I headed over to "Flipper's", the local watering hole conveniently located next to my hotel. There I drank a large quantity of the local beer, Chillkoot Lager...and...met a new female friend, Darcy, who explained and allowed me to "understand" (in the fullest sense) the Yukon's very liberal "controlled substances" laws.
Thus sedated, I retired to my hotel for a great night's sleep.
Not entirely as a result of Darcy's "explanation" and all of that Chillkoot Lager, I decided to spend an extra night here in Whitehorse to rest, relax, and perform a little "travel maintenance" (clean out coolers, plan the next week or so of travel, etc.).
From here, it looks like the following for a travel schedule...

F 8/22...Watson Lake
S 8/23...Down the Cassiar Highway to Stewart
Su 8/24...Prince George
M 8/25...Jasper
T 8/26...Lake Louise
W 8/27...Banff
Th 8/28...Banff
F 8/29...Kamloops
S 8/30...Vancouver
Su 8/31...Vancouver
M 9/1...Seattle

I also took a few photos of some posters for local bands, etc. You haven't really listened to music until you've heard a performance by "Sasquatch Prom Date"...awesome!

More later...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YUKON BILLY! Still love the beard!