Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 32...Denali to Chena Hot Springs...Relaxing!




I broke camp a little late after spending a lot of time trying to upload pictures from my hike in Denali.
I left Denali around 12:00 noon and headed to Chena Hot Springs north of Fairbanks. The Lodge there was very cool...I had a nice room...and...use of the "hot springs (see photos). I can not tell you how relaxing it was soaking in that water! The springs were developed by the Swan brothers in 1905...by 1912, they were a "must stop" for Alaska travelers. The brothers had the water analyzed, and it is unlike any other hot spring in North America. Instead, the mineral "profile" closely matches the springs at Carlsbad in Bohemia.
I spent three hours in there the night that I checked in...and my plan is to sped another hour or two tomorrow!
I had a great dinner (steak again) and enjoyed talking with the bartender, Sandra. Tomorrow, I'm going to hang around until checkout time (11:00AM) so that I can get in more "spring time". As a result, I'll only be going as far as Tok, Alaska tomorrow. The "Top of the World Highway" will have to wait a day.

More later...

No comments: