Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 41...Sunday, August 24, 2008...Liard Hot Springs to Dawson Creek...Back to Civilization!




I headed out this morning early...eager to put as much distance as possible between me and the Liard Hot Springs Lodge. One final note on that place...I forgot to mention the rough and heavy roof beam strategically located right outside the front door at forehead level...a triumph of architectural design!
Weather was pretty nasty this morning...drizzling rain and very heavy fog...perfect conditions for driving over the Northern Rockies on a less than perfect road. I decided last night to skip the Cassiar Highway because I would have to backtrack over 120 miles to take that route. So, instead, I continued back south on the Alaskan Highway all the way to Dawson Creek.
Four hundred or so miles later (as well as several "construction" delays), and I made it back to Dawson Creek. I stayed at the Ramada again, and I had a great dinner at the local steakhouse...civilization never seemed so good! I finally had cell phone service, Internet access and, best of all, satellite radio again! And none too soon on the Satellite radio...as I expected, there was a "situation" somewhere in the world, and they had Wolf Blitzer right in middle of the "Situation Room".
Tomorrow's drive should be fun...I'm heading out of Dawson Creek to Jasper, Alberta. That means some time driving through the plains as well as the foothills of the Southern Canadian Rockies.

More later...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, explain why you need a Pilot Car, er, pickup truck, to go along the highway. Is there some ambiguity as to where the road is?

Unknown said...

It was probably Wolf Blitzer in the "Pilot Car"!

Tiger said...

So hows your head? I'm guessing you connected with that beam at least once...what on earth is a wolf blitzer?