Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 44...Wednesday, August 27, 2008...A Quiet Day in Banff...Plus!...An Elk Sighting, Right in the Middle of Downtown Banff!!!






Today was a nice quiet and relaxing day in Banff. I slept in late and headed over to the "Cascade Coin Laundry" to wash, dry and fold clothes...very exciting. Take note...I am, in fact, back in civilization as evidenced by the Lush Cosmetics store. Ahh...I know what many of you are thinking as you look at those photos of the Lush store and, yes, I miss those Lush Balls too!!
After laundry, I headed back to the Bow River Lodge and did some reading. So far, I've finished Ann Coulter's "Godless" and I'm about to finish Stephen King's "The Stand" (yea...I know it's not "Pulitzer Prize" material, but I like The Stand, and this is probably the sixth time I've read it) and "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain...my hero!
Later in the afternoon, I stopped in at a local pub with 40 beers on tap and had a few pints of Sella Artois...very good.
For dinner, I went back to the Maple Leaf Grille and it was there that I had my Elk sighting. Up here, you have to be prepared for wild animal sightings at any time. Anyway, I'm sitting at the bar at the Maple Leaf Grille and, all of sudden, there it was...Elk! Partially obscured by a pile of mashed potatoes, a perfectly grilled piece of Elk tenderloin was bathing in a red wine reduction sauce...good thing that I had my camera! A great meal there...in addition to the Elk, I had a bottle of 2005 Red Rooster British Columbia Meritage (excellent!) and two servings (three scoops each) of their house-made ice cream (maple walnut, chocolate and white chocolate vanilla)...civilization is good...very good!
Tomorrow, I'll be off early on my way to Kamloops, British Columbia...hopefully, my last "mountain drive" for awhile. From there, I'll be swinging south and east through British Columbia's "wine country" before heading into Vancouver.

More later!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Elk in downtown Banff? Was he Lush Ball shopping? More important do they have blinkers on their butt? I would not want them to impede traffic!

Miss ya, College football tonight, woohoo! Saturday our day brother!

Tiger said...

Gotta love your sense of humor Bill...elk sighting, LOL