Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 34...Tuesday, July 20, 2010...Getting My "Kicks"...Resisting the Temptations of Sin...A Close Encounter with Death






Wow...what a drive today...fourteen hours...one of my most interesting road trips ever.
I left Grand Canyon early...on the road a little before 6:00AM. South out of the Park and then west on Interstate 40. On these trips, I try to avoid the interstates...and...less than forty miles in, I found my "out". I was able to detour around and parallel to the interstate on historic Route 66...very cool. And thanks to the Ultra Lounge #3 cd loaded on my iPod, I was able to listen to the theme from "Route 66". I loved that show when I was a boy...they had a cool car...they just traveled when and where they wanted...they met fun people. And now, fifty years later, I can do the same...of a sort.
From Route 66 (west), I picked up Route 95 north to Hoover Dam. Much security there...they even used those big mirrors on a stick to check under my Escape and camper. Then...across the dam...not as scary as I expected. I hadn't planned on this route, but I had a dream last night with a voice telling me to go to Hoover Dam...funny, but the voice sounded like my friend, Ed.
Thirty miles later, I was blowing through Las Vegas...I felt no urge to stop...just passing through. Then north out of Vegas on 95 to Route 373 into the Valley connecting with Route 190.
It was, well, most impressive. Stopped at Zabriskie Point...saw the movie in 1970 and did not understand it...today saw the actual place, and still don't understand the movie. It was PFH...the "P' standing for "pretty" and the "h" for "hot"...you can figure out the other part. I drank probably a gallon of water in the space of five hours or so.
Coming out of the valley was a bit of a challenge...a twenty mile stretch increasing in about 4000 feet of altitude. The Escape and camper were "straining" to get through this stretch...at one time, I could not get over 15 miles an hour...much to the dismay of the vehicles (many) behind me.
But...eventually...I made it over the mountains, out of the Park, and south on Route 295...heading toward Sequoia National Park.
Tonight, I am staying in the town of Ridgecrest, California...nice hotel, a hot shower, a Martini...sushi for dinner...a few beers...life is good...no...life is damned good!

No comments: