Saturday, July 31, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 39...Sunday, July 25, 2010...On to Kings Canyon






I was up at 6:30AM this morning...finished off the rest of yesterday's coffee from the thermos (still hot!) and had a bowl of cereal for breakfast.
The dive up Dry Creek Road was as I expected...narrow (very) winding road up into the mountains. It was only a forty mile drive, but it took almost two hours.
At Kings Canyon, I was lucky enough to get a great camping spot at Azalea Campground...nestled in among giant Sequoias and Cedars...a beautiful spot.
Late morning, I hiked the short loop trail around the "General Grant Tree"...the second largest in the area. For lunch, I stopped at the Park cafe for a Chef's Salad...gotta have those vegetables.
Late afternoon, a couple from Holland arrived and set up camp next to mine. They stopped over later, and we shared a few beers around the campfire. I grilled my last steak with some fried potatoes and another bottle of red wine.
For some reason, I'm tired today...9:00PM, and I'm sound asleep.

No comments: