Saturday, July 24, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 36...Thursday, July 22, 2010...It's All About the Trees, Man






They emptied the dumpsters at my camp ground this morning at 6:00AM, so I'm up early. I brew a pot of coffee and relax for awhile as the sun comes up over the mountains.
A big group of folks from El Salvador are camping next to me, and they've got some nice music playing in the early morning. Two gals stop over...one wants me to meet her "friend" who is visiting the U.S. This is a pretty obvious "fix up", but it's kind of cute in a way. For breakfast, they bring over a plate of "Papusas"...the national dish of El Salvador. It's a thin cornmeal pancake stuffed with meat and cheese...absolutely delicious! So...we're chatting away, and I mention that , back in the early 1970's, I actually dated (six months) the reigning "Miss El Salvador"...yes, it's true, I have witnesses!
After some more coffee, it's time to head up the mountains to see the trees. It's a tough drive...steep, winding and narrow road...steep drop offs, lots of construction (at one point, I have to wait 50 minutes). But, an hour and half later, I've made it the 16 miles to the top...and there they are...the Sequoias. It is difficult for me to describe the beauty...the majesty...of these trees. Some are 2000-3000 years old...some are 14 stories tall...they're incredible. After a month of looking at inanimate beauty (rocks), to see something this beautiful...and alive...is thrilling.
I spend several hours driving around and take a very short hike to see the "General Sherman Tree"...the biggest in the world...stunning. It's also a little surreal because they are conducting a "controlled burn", and the air is thick with smoke.
Then, having identified several good hikes for the days to come, I head back down the mountains to camp. A grilled steak, corn on the cob, and a bottle of California Cabernet make for a great dinner. The weather was hot during the day, but things cool off as the sun sets. A few beers around a roaring campfire before bed.

No comments: