Saturday, July 17, 2010

Camping Out West...Days 29-30...Thursday/Friday, July 15-16, 2010...Zion National Park






I've had an enjoyable couple of days here in Zion despite the heat and the crowds. Temperatures have been in the "triple digits" every day, and things don't really cool off much at night. I purchased a battery charger my first day here, and I've charged up the battery in the camper...so...at least I've got a vent fan to cool things off.
This Park, third most visited in the system after Yosemite and Yellowstone, is VERY crowded...parking lots full, hiking trails crowded, campgrounds full. As I think I mentioned earlier, you can't even drive in the Park...gotta take the shuttle bus. Still...it has been fun.
I've gone on three different hikes...one to the end of the canyon ("the Narrows"), one along the Virgin River (the Pa'rus Trail) and one up to a series of waterfalls (the Emerald Pools Trail)...each a beautiful walk and none too difficult.
A dad and his three daughters from Provo have been camping next to me for the last few days. The girls are amateur astronomers, and they were able to explain why I've been having trouble locating my favorite constellation (Orion's Belt)...it's a "winter constellation", so I'll have to wait awhile to see it again.
Meals have been good...grilled a steak one night...made two pasta dishes (three cheers for Bertoli bottled sauce!), looks like Tandoori chicken tonight.
Sunday morning, I've got about a 200 mile drive from Zion to the Grand Canyon. There are some very good restaurants there, so I'm thinking of dining out on Sunday evening.

Oh...and best of all...I heard back from my cousin, Amy, in Texas. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet her and some other "Thee's" if I head down to Texas again on my way to Florida for the winter.

No comments: