Thursday, July 1, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 15...Thursday, July 1, 2010..."The Martian Chronicles"







"...it's like driving across the landscape of the planet Mars".

After sunset, the temperatures dropped into the 60's last night, and I slept well. Up at 6:00AM...make coffee, eat a bowl of cereal, read for an hour...then it's time to head for the Park. My plan is to drive the whole route through the Park, taking photos along the way, and identify places to come back to and hike tomorrow.
Immediately upon entering the Park, the scenery is absolutely striking...I've never seen anything like it. It's like driving across the landscape of Mars...spires of rock, deep canyons, delicately balanced boulders strewn across a barren landscape.
Only one musical selection is fitting for such scenery...so the iPod is playing the orchestral suite "The Planets" by Gustav Holst.
I drive every road in the Park, and I've identified three or four places that I want to come back to and hike. It's ALL incredible though...the most visually fascinating Park that I have ever visited.
So...I'm posting five photos here, then another "supplemental" post with five more.
Incredible views today...

No comments: