Friday, July 2, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 16...Friday, July 2, 2010...Hiking with the Devil






After yesterday's post, I headed into Moab for supplies and a little entertainment. I stopped in at Moab Brewery for two icy cold pints of their excellent Pilsener before heading over to the City Market for ice...very important, that ice.
Back at camp, I read for an hour or two and then cooked myself a nice burger for dinner...washed downn with a few watery "3.2%" Modelo Especials. I had to supplement with a few shots of 99 proof banana schnapps.
By 10:00PM, I was ready for bed.
I was up at 6:00AM this morning...I wanted to get an early start so that I could hike the "Devil's Garden Trail" early in the day...less hot. By 8:30, I was on the trail to get some photos of Pine Arch, Tunnel Arch and the iconic Landscape Arch. It was a moderately difficult trail...about a mile and a half in to Landscape Arch...very impressive. I stopped for a few minutes at Landscape to chew a few "shot blocks" (electrolyte supplements) and drink 3/4 liter of water before heading back along the trail.
Arches is just as impressive today as yesterday...an "other-worldly" landscape...I've just never seen anything like it!
Back at the trailhead, I made myself a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch.
Then, I headed back to the area known as "Park Avenue" near the entrance to the park. I found this area interesting because the stone structures are not rounded and smooth...rather, the stone formations here are large slab of angular material. I hiked there for an hour, then headed down to the Visitor's Center for the obligatory cap, magnet and T-shirt.
Now, am skulking behind the local Holiday Inn Express...they have excellent Wi-Fi! After this post, I'm heading back to Moab Brewery, then over to a private campground for a much-desired shower!
Tomorrow, I'm packing up and heading southwest to Canyonlands National Park. This is the area where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid hid out from the law...should be interesting.

No comments: