Saturday, July 24, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 37...Friday, July 23, 2010...Hiking the Trees...Animal Sightings!...My Greatest Photo Ever!






Today, I shot what may be my greatest photo ever...but more on that later.
Another great breakfast of Papusas thanks to my new camp mates...a good way to start a day of hiking.
I've identified two trails to hike today...the "Big Trees Trail" and the "Crescent Meadows Trail". By 8:00AM, I'm on the road back up the mountains...no construction today, so I only have a 20 minute wait at the construction zone. Up top, I head right for Crescent Meadow.
The famed naturalist, John Muir, called Crescent Meadow the gem of the Sierras"...and he would be correct about that. It's about a three mile "loop" around the meadow itself and the surrounding area. For much of this hike, I am completely alone...and the quiet is soothing. The forest is cool and damp, the trail easy to follow...past the living trees, some burned...fallen trees, the size of houses.
About 3/4 of the way along the trail, I come up behind a couple from California and their two kids in a stroller. They stop, and as I approach, they point out a young bear on the trail...a great photo op. You can see him about twenty feet behind me in the second photo on this post. And then, further along, they stop again...and they point something out in the trees...and that's when I took what may be my greatest photo ever. Its the middle photo on this post...click and take a look...a "once in a lifetime" shot.
That hike completed, I then drove over to the "Big Trees Trail"...another loop around a different meadow...huge trees all around...and...another bear. It's a good day for wildlife to day.
After those hikes, I'm hungry...so I stop at the Lodgepole Market Complex where I had a surprisingly decent piece of pizza for lunch. I also pick up some ice (you've got to have cold beer when you're camping!).
After lunch, I drove further up the Park road...more beautiful trees! Then, the hour ride back down the mountains to camp. Another steak and some grilled asparagus for dinner...another campfire.
This...this has been a truly great day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG! Bill, what a fabulous day indeed! I love your pics of the trees and then, the 'once in a lifetime'! breathtaking!