Monday, July 5, 2010

Camping Out West...Days 17/18...Saturday/Sunday, July 3-4, 2010...Camping with Alice in Wonderland






I was on the road early Saturday morning en route from Arches to Canyonlands National Park...80 miles or so. The entrance to the Park off the main road (191) is 30 miles long...through some pretty country.
Campsites here are very cool...each connected to a rock formation...like camping with Alice in Wonderland under a giant toadstool. Drove the whole length and width of the Park in the afternoon and identified some good hikes for tomorrow.
Cooked up tacos for dinner...yum!
Set out early on the morning of the 4th for some hikes to Cave Spring and Pothole Point...short hikes, but fun. Saw some ancient cave dwellings with cave art (petraglyphs)...very cool. For dinner on this 4th of July, I had a classic all-American meal...spicy Vietnamese pork and vegetable stir-fry.
God Bless America!
And, before I forget, I should mention that I've been running into a lot of UM fans lately. My second night at Arches, I met Paul, from Ann Arbor, who was en route with family from Ann Arbor to Salt Lake City. Also camped next to a couple from Grass Lake...Go Blue!
I am now en route from Canyonlands to Capitol Reef National Park.

No comments: