Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 33...Monday, July 19, 2010...The Grand Canyon






OK...one thing is pretty clear...the Grand Canyon is not "my" kind of park. You can not get any decent photo without walking out to the edge of a huge "vertigo-inducing" abyss. I'm on a limited budget, and I can not afford more than one change of "Depends" a day.
That being said...this was my day. Up early at 7:00AM and over to McDonalds for coffee. They have Wi-Fi, but it is never any good. So...over to the local Holiday Inn Express. I want to put in a "plug" for them. Their rooms are nice, and their Wi-Fi (even from the parking lot) is excellent! I checked emails, posted on Facebook/Blog...paid some bills.
Then...off to the Canyon. I took the shuttle from close to my campground to the Visitor's Center...then took the "Red Route" bus which promised some interesting Canyon views. There were ten stops...I made it through three. When I heard someone comment that one of the impending stops was "cool"...because..."man, when the bus pulls in there, you think you're going right over the edge"...that was enough for me. At the bar of the local Lodge, I did get one photo taken over the "rim" that I felt comfortable with...see photo.
Back at camp, I cooked up shredded beef tacos for dinner...pounded a few beers...and hit the sack early.
I've got a BIG drive tomorrow...Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Death Valley...and on to Sequoia National Park.

No comments: