Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Out West Day 11...Saturday, August 1, 2009...Avalanche Campground






It's afer 8:00AM, but I can not bring myself to get out of bed...it's so soft, fluffy...so comfortable! After all those nights sleeping on a blow-up sleeping pad, a real bed is an enormous luxury. Reluctantly, I get up and brew a pot of coffee. Later, I relax on the outdoor deck of the Chalet, enjoying my morning coffee and a smoke with a great view of the mountains.
Around 10:00, I decide to head back into the Park to find a new campground. When I get to the gate, I realize that I have lost track of my days...it's Saturday, and the line to get into the Park is at least a half mile long. By the time that I get to the gate, my first two choices for campgrounds are full...so, no Sprague and no Fish Creek. The Ranger suggests Avalanche Campground, so off I go...14 miles back into the Park. I don't know what Sprague or Fish Creek are like, but Avalanche is beautiful...perfect. It's set back in an old-growth forest with big Cedars that provide lots of shade. I find a good spot to camp, pay my fee and set about setting up camp. Within minutes, two deer, a buck and a doe, wander right through my campsite...this is a good spot.
Once I have set up camp, I relax for awhile and read...more Lincoln. Soon, it's late afternoon...cocktail hour! Then a great dinner of chicken in Spicy Korean Stir-Fry Sauce, boiled potatoes and a bottle of Cabernet...a great way to end the day. After dinner, I build a fire and enjoy a few beers along with a cigar (a Gispert Robusto)...then off to bed.

No comments: