Thursday, August 6, 2009

Out West Day 14...Tuesday, August 4, 2009...Down the Swan Valley to Bozeman





At the suggestion of my friend, Rich, I'm taking the Swan Valley Highway south out of West Glacier, through Helena, to Bozeman. I make a quick detour through the town of Whitefish, where my friend, Patrice, lived for awhile. Regrettably, it's too early to stop at the Tupelo Grill which, Patrice has assured me, serves the best Bread Pudding in Montana.
It's a pretty drive...six or seven hours through mountains, forests, open range, and big lakes. I arrive in Bozeman around 4:0P and check into the local Days Inn. They quote me a rate of $88.00 per night which seems high...particularly since I saw a billboard on I-90 advertising a $45.00 rate. So I ask whether the $88.00 rate is the "best" or "best available", and I'm told that $88.00 is the lowest, period. So then my "lawyer instincts" kick in, and I tell them that, if they had that billboard and rate structure in Michigan, they'd get nailed for false advertising. "Oh, they say, you saw the billboard. Well, we can give you the 'billboard rate' of $45.00". Just like that, I've saved $80.00 on a 2 night stay.
As soon as I unload, it's another 45 minute shower...wonderful. Then, downtown for dinner at Looie's Downunder, where I had such a nice meal last year. This year, the food is good, but the atmosphere not great. My bartender is not particularly communicative, and the owner is quite "brusque". Still, a nice piece of grilled filet and a few glasses of California Cab do wonders.
After dinner, I st out to find a comfortable bar to settle in for the evening. I've taken a cab downtown, so I can afford to let loose a little. I try "Plonk" the local Wine Bar...nice, but a little too stuffy for me tonight. Then on to "The Crystal", the legendary local bar...again, nice, but a little too loud. I'm beginning to think that my bar search will not be successful when, all of a sudden, I see "FOE", Fraternal order of Eagles. I'm an Eagle, so I figure that this should be a friendly spot. And I am correct as I am soon befriended by Dawn and Rob. Dawn makes it a point to introduce me to everyone there as "Bill from Michigan". I also meet Kevin and Laura (we're all in the photo) and soon I'm having rounds bought for me left and right. Around midnight, though, it's time to cab back to the hotel and sleep. Tomorrow is "laundry day".

No comments: