Monday, August 17, 2009

Out West Day 22,...Wednesday, August 12, 2009...South to Yellowstone Lake






Last year, I only had a few days in Yellowstone, so my explorations were limited. Today, I decide to visit some areas that missed. My plan is to drive east to the Canyon area, then south to the Bridge Bay and Lake areas. I stop for lunch at the Yellowstone Hotel...a great sandwich of Italian ham, mortadella, fresh mozzerella, and balsamic vinaigrette on an Italian roll.
After lunch, I decide to hike the "Elephant Loop"...four or five miles in on a moderately easy trail. But...about a mile or two in, I come upon a large group of hikers heading out. You can't go in any farther, they tell me, because Park Ranges have closed the trail...bears. OK, I'm not anxious for a run-in with any bears, so I hike back out...I can come back tomorrow.
So, I drive further south to get a few photos of the lake...it's pretty...and BIG...the largest lake at this altitude in the world. I also run into more geysers/springs/pools...they're everywhere.
Lots of traffic heading back to camp, so it's late in the afternoon again when I return. It's a grilled steak, and boiled potatoes for dinner...with a few glasses of Chilean Carmenere for dinner...excellent. A few hours around the campfire...another great night's sleep.

No comments: