Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Out West Day 28...Tuesday, August 18, 2009...Grand Teton National Park...Jenny Lake Campground





My alarm is set for 6:00AM, but I'm up before that. I packed most everything yesterday...so... a couple of cups of coffee, a quick shower, and I'm off to Jenny Lake Campground. Weather is much better...sunny and in the 50's this morning. My luck stays with me...site #17 is open...it's big, comfortable, nice views.
I'm setting up my last camp of the trip...pitch the tent, lay out the sleeping pad/sleeping bag, unload the bike, set up the folding tables/chair, lay out the tarp over the firewood and charcoal...I'm in business. I read for awhile, then head over to the General Store for more firewood and ice. It's VERY crowded, and I have to lug two boxes of firewood and two bags of ice about a quarter of a mile across a huge parking lot from the store to my vehicle...several trips.
All of that work has made me hungry, so I head to the Jenny Lake Lodge for lunch. The restaurant there has been called by many the best in the whole National Park System...and it's pretty good. I order Sweet Potato and Ginger Bisque (tasty) and a big Chef's Salad (excellent). They have my new favorite dessert, Huckleberry Ice Cream, so I have a bowl of that as well.
After lunch, I pull my chair over into the shade and read for awhile. I've finished the Teddy Roosevelt Presidential years biography, and now I'm starting the first book in the trilogy, "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. Time flies and, before I know it, it's 6:00PM...the Cocktail Hour!
I pour myself a Margarita, read a little more, and star dinner...grilled Filet and Asparagus...wash that down with another Spanish Rioja. As I sit down to dinner, I realize that I am "sharing" my campsite...Rocky the squirrel hops over to the table...apparently unafraid of humans. After I "accidentally" drop a few cashews, Rocky's having his dinner in a tree while I'm having mine at the picnic table After dinner, I dump the charcoal into the fire pit, lay out some kindling, a few pieces of firewood...soon I've got a roaring fire. By 9:15PM or so, it's dark, and the stars are really out. That's one of the best things about camping...you're away from the bright lights, so you can really see the stars.
By 10:30PM, I'm ready for another great night's sleep.

No comments: